What to Do:
- For special events held in the home which significantly increase the amount of foot traffic on the hardwood floors, extra care should be taken to sweep, mop, and vacuum the floors right away.
- Screening and re-coating will be needed if the floor starts to lose its natural aesthetic beauty or starts to look dull. In some cases of damage it could be a useful procedure as well. This will return the natural shine and texture to the wood and should lengthen its lifespan as well.
- Make sure all areas are kept completely dry and as clean as possible.
- Any cleaners used for hardwood floor cleaning should be made specifically for wood flooring.
What Not to Do:
- Ammonia should never be used on wood flooring. Check cleaner labels carefully.
- When mopping hardwood floors, avoid using water.
- Urethane finish waxes should never be used on hardwood flooring.
- Very strong cleaning solutions can damage hardwood floors, so make sure everything used is labeled safe for wood.
As long as these basic hardwood floor cleaning tips are used on a daily basis, maintaining the beauty of your hardwood should not be that difficult.