Home cleaning appliances have in the recent years experienced rapid growth due to technological advancements. The invention of vacuum cleaners and most importantly the move from the heavy upright vacuum cleaners to the easily portable handheld vacuums has helped us a great deal in terms of the time and effort incurred in cleaning. The battle of the corded vs cordless handheld vacuums is still on and this article will help you decide whichever wins.
Battery Capacity And Charge Time
Corded vacuums have a cord that is attached to the mains electricity supply and can be used for as long as there is constant supply of electricity thus battery capacity and charge time are not to be worried about. The problem only comes in whenever there is a blackout.
Cordless vacuums run on rechargeable batteries and battery capacity and charge time are extremely important factors to consider in this case. Battery life affects the performance of the vacuum cleaner and limited power reduces the effectiveness of a vacuum in performing heavy cleaning jobs such as deep carpet cleaning. Most cordless vacuums run for between 5 to 30 minutes before recharging hence may not be very effective for cleaning larger areas.
Portability And Convenience
A corded vacuum cleaner is not totally convenient and portable since its use is limited to a particular radius from the mains socket depending on the length of the cord. A decent corded handheld vacuum should have at least 20 feet of cord length and are more effective in cleaning indoors.
A cordless vacuum on the other hand offers you great portability and convenience since it has no limitations in terms of where to use it, whether in your car or office or room, as long as it is charged. Cordless vacuums also reduce the mess caused by long wires which may cause trips or falls within the house.
It would be a shame to narrow down on all vacuum cleaner options only to discover that your most preferred vacuum is way too expensive for your budget. This makes price a very important factor.
A decent corded vacuum goes for an average price of $30 to $40 and are known to provide better performance than cordless vacuums in the same price range.
Cordless vacuums are more expensive costing between $50 to $120 since they offer you that greatly needed convenience and portability.
Suction power dictates the cleaning ability of a vacuum from being able to clear different kinds of dirt and debris, being able to suck up pet hairs and being able to clean a carpet or furniture without damaging the upholstery.
Corded vacuum cleaners provide constant suction power due to constant power supply from the mains. Suction power is usually not dependent on the amount of electrical current consumed but on the airflow, suction and the correct cleaning attachment.
Cordless vacuums are characterized by loss of suction power as the battery power reduces during their use making it necessary for frequent recharging. Lithium Ion batteries with higher voltages may be used to reduce this effect as they hold charge better that other battery types.
Unless you really need a powerful handheld vacuum, cordless is usually the way to go.
Cordless vacuums are known to experience less malfunctioning as they do not consist of very complicated systems thus they are mostly provided with a 1 year warranty.
Corded vacuums have more complicated systems like the batteries which become weaker with time to the charging ports which could develop complications with time. For this reason, most of them are provided with a warranty that lasts 2 to 3 years.
Depending on your different cleaning needs, the above properties will help you choose the best handheld vacuum.
Corded Handheld Vacuums
Corded handheld vacuums simplify the daily cleaning chores. Their compact size makes maneuvering them easy, and so you can reach even the tiniest crevices without having to fumble with large machines and wires. They come fitted with high power suction motors, which are capable of suctioning even the tiniest bit of dirt. Here are some recommended ones to check out:
- Black & Decker 18V Pivot Vac PHV1810 – Considered more powerful than most of the available products, it is very effective in picking up both fine and coarse debris. Special features include a pivoting nozzle, an integrated extension nozzle, an upholstery brush and washable filters. Quiet and powerful, it comes with extended battery life enough to clean car interiors and staircase.
- Dirt Devil Gator BD10165 Handheld Vacuum – Excellent for removing dirt from bare and carpet floors. Long battery life and peak power performance. Comes with a special nifty telescoping crevice tool for tight spaces. Easy to clean as well
- Dirt Devil SD20005RED Scorpion Quick Flip Hand Vacuum – Comes with a 7amp motor, which make it very powerful tool. The quick flip crevice tools clean tight spaces fast. 16-foot power cord provides constant power. Comes with a dust cup, so no need to ever buy bags or belts.
- BISSELL Cleanview Deluxe Corded Handheld Vacuum 47R51 – It is a lightweight machine with a 4amp motor. 18 foot power cord and a curved carrying handle. HEPA media filter captures dust, pollen ragweed. Rubber contour nozzle, hose – adapter nozzle, 2-foot hose, wide mouth tool and a crevice tool
Right now, you might be wondering why you should flip over from your traditional large vacuum cleaner. Here are a few key benefits of handheld vacuums that might help clear things up for you:
Advantages of Corded Handheld Vacuums
Lightweight and handier than the standard cleaners, they make cleaning every surface easy, whether it’s car, furniture, tough-to-reach corners, or stairs. They use less electricity and can save you a lot of money. Small size also makes them more hygienic as you will clean their bags more often preventing allergens from accumulating.
Storing them is no issue because they fit easily anywhere. The lightweight nature of these vacuums can help prevent strain on wrists and shoulders. Dragging out traditional cleaners can be tedious and this is where these handheld vacuum cleaners make their importance felt.
Value for money
Their prices vary just like with any other cleaning device. The ones that belong to reputable brands might cost a little more. However, they tend to also guarantee better cleaning efficiency. It all depends on what your cleaning needs are. If you’re living in a small flat with fewer cleaning needs, then it might be wise to invest in a cheaper version. Note that just because one vacuum is more expensive than another, it does not necessarily mean that it is better in every regard.
It’s a smart idea to invest in a corded vacuum cleaner if you’re looking for a more versatile way to get your cleaning done. They come in many sizes and can meet all your personal requirements if you spend a bit of time finding the right one.
Cordless Handheld Vacuums
Before we go ahead and list the best available options in the market, let us first understand why these machines score over the conventional ones.
Firstly, these machines are an absolute pleasure to work with. They are light and not cumbersome at all. They do not have any long wires and tubes, so you will not trip on it while maneuvering the machine nor will you put strain on wrist or shoulders while working with them.
Secondly, performance wise they are at par or even better than the traditional machines. You don’t need constant electricity to run them and so saves your power bills. Ideal for small households where pets and children litter all around and you cant always bring out the big machine always. They are easy to store too.
Cleaning is a tough job, whether its home, office or even cars and using the conventional large, bulky and rather clumsy vacuum cleaners makes it even more tougher. Conversely, the new, convenient, compact and rather fun to work with cordless handheld vacuum cleaners make everyday cleaning no trouble at all. These gadgets have swiftly taken over the market and put the traditional machines on the backbench. The market is flooded today with various designs, and they all cater to different needs of the customer.
Buy One For Yourself
Now, if the above advantages were sufficient to bend your mind towards buying one for your house, the following list provides you with some of the best cordless machines available in the market:
- Makita LC01Z Cordless 12v MAX Lithium Ion Hand Vacuum Cleaner – This machine provides strong suction power for fast efficient cleaning. Has a special floor nozzle that provides for improved maneuverability and debris collection. A bag less 2 stage cloth filtration system allows for easier cleaning and quicker debris disposal.
- EuroPro Shark Cordless Handheld Vacuum SV75 (SV75-MRF) – Provides deep cleaning thanks to a detachable motorized brush that lifts pet hair and ground in dirt. 35% more suction power than other models. Removable and washable filter makes maintenance easy. Comes with a crevice tool, motorized brush and a direct suction for easy cleaning on any surface
- Dyson DC35 Multi Floor Cordless Hand Held Cleaner – This device features a Root Cyclone Technology. It doesn’t use dust bag to collect dust, thus avoids clogging and suction. A large dustbin helps you to clean more before emptying the can. The detachable long reach wand of this cleaner lets you clean rooftops and hard to reach areas
- Hoover S1120 Rechargeable Handheld Cordless Vacuum Cleaner Wet/Dry Vac – The wet/dry feature of this model makes cleaning liquid spills as well as dry junk easy and effective, whether on hard floor or under the carpet. Washable filters and bag less dirt cups make for easy maintenance of the machine. To charge, simply mount it on the wall to its recharging rack
- Morphy Richards JCB Cordless Wet and Dry – JCB and Morphy Richards have come together to bring this dual-purpose machine. Not only does it clean wet spills and dry trash, it comes with in –car charger and a carry strap which makes it ideal for indoor and outdoor use.
- Samsung FlexiSlim – This glossy, lightweight and almost malleable device can fit into the tiniest of spaces. You can use it as a hand held or upright cleaner. It also has a free standing charge base which means you can use it both in indoors and outdoors.
These machines are rapidly finding their place in homes now. They are smart, comfortable options and provide value for the money spent.