The “ideal vacuum” for a hardwood floor is almost never the same as the ideal one for any other floor type such as carpets, and rugs. However, there are a few multi-purpose ones out there that are an exception to this rule.
In this article, you’re going to quickly learn how you can make an informed decision about which vacuums are worth buying and how to get the most value out of your money.
Important Things to Consider:
If your ultimate goal is to obtain the best hardwood floor vacuum, then there are some important features you have to take into consideration.
This is to ensure that you pick a machine that’s actually safe and suitable for cleaning hardwood.
You want a vacuum cleaner that can help you maintain the luster, and natural beauty of your floor with minimal effort on your part… right? Here are the the most important things to consider:
- A good hardwood floor vacuum should not have beater brushes – A beater brush is the rotating cylinder located at the head, and it’s usually covered with thick bristles that leave scratches on your floor.
- Look for a compact and easy to move vacuum – A heavy vacuum cleaner leaves scratches and scuff-marks on the floor surface. You will also need a light weight machine that can be easily maneuvered across the floor with less effort.
- Make sure the vacuum is padded with felt stripes and rubber – The padding will help prevent scratches.
- A vacuum that can sweep and mop the floor is more appropriate – The wet feature will help to clean the floor after vacuuming, which is necessary for this floor type. After mopping, make sure no paddles of water are left on the floor. Leaving water on hardwood for a long time may cause the wood to warp and damage, especially if your floor is not laminate wood.
- Consider using a handheld vacuum for smaller wood floors – Using a handheld vacuum cleaner makes it easy to clean corners and other areas that are missed by larger ones. It also requires less effort making your work easy. It’s not absolutely necessary, but it is very convenient.
- The vacuum should have a high suction power – A powerful suction will allow it to pick up all the dust and stubborn substances like embedded pet hair, leaving a spotless floor. If you prefer a cordless one, consider the type of battery it uses. A good one should run for hours on a single charge enabling you to clean a large section in one go. A backpack vacuum is a good choice here.
- Try to choose a canister vacuum if you have lots of stairs – They are lighter than upright models and have wheels that make them more mobile. This helps to prevent accidental scratching. A good place to find the best canister vacuum is at Home Floor Experts. Make sure to read the entire guide before making any kind of purchase. Your floors will thank you.
Prices and Reviews
Of course, the task of finding the best vacuum for hardwood floors can still be a bit tricky, even if you’ve already located a few interesting candidates; placing your money on the line will only be justified if you can be sure that the machine in question will do its job right.
A lower price will often depend on the number and importance of the functions and features. Usually, the fewer functions it has, the lower the price. So, to get better value for your money, it’s best to make a list of all the features that are completely essential for you and your hardwood flooring – such as cheap bags, a wet function and long extensions. This will help you to avoid units with fancy features that you probably won’t ever need.
Regardless of your choice, hunting for the perfect hardwood floor vacuum will go a lot more smoothly if you keep in mind all of the guidelines mentioned above.
More often than not, households have both hard floor and carpeted areas so, unless you want different machines for different functions, this must be factored in – which might well incline you to the canister variety again, which fulfils both flooring varieties. You might however, have concrete screed flooring or similar where this might not be such an issue. – Eco Unit
Here are some of the best hardwood vacuums that you should consider:
Top 5 Vacuum Cleaners For Cleaning Hardwood Floors:
Although a bit pricier than the others, the Miele S8590 Alize comes complete with the finest in German engineering at the heart of this vacuum cleaner.
Along with the finest German engineered 1200 watt vortex motor that is built to last, it also comes with the ideal attachment for gently vacuuming even the finest of hardwood floors throughout your home.
The lightweight and self-contained AirClean Sealed System is an excellent option when you or a family member suffers from asthma or allergies.
With Miele’s design, containing the air borne allergens produced by typical canister vacuums, your family benefits by breathing cleaner, fresher air provided by the HEPA filter.
The Miele S8590 Alize also comes with the AirTeQ combination floor tool attachment is designed specifically for transitioning from a carpeted bedroom floor to the hardwood floors in your living room without ever loosing contact with the floor.
At first glance, the manufacturers called this one right. The Miele S2121 Olympus looks like a beautiful white lotus flower. NOT, like your mother’s old clunky old push vacuum cleaner you grew up with.
This model, while it does provide the patented Miele air clean filter that claims it removes 99.99%+ of the particulates in your household air, it does NOT provide the HEPA filtration system that allergy and asthma sufferers require.
Advantages of the Miele S2121 Olympus canister vacuum cleaner:
The sleek and beautiful lotus flower design of this canister vacuum provides the optimum design for storing in small or tight closets. While at the same time, provides the following unique features of a more powerful and heavier vacuum cleaner.
The corded design allows for a wide, 29.5 cleaning radius, which allows for more cleaning, less hunting for an outlet. It is super lightweight at only 13 pounds!
The combination floor tool of the Miele S2121 provides an easy tool needed to vacuum that hardwood floor and easily allows you to transitions to the carpeted areas around your house.
The compact and lightweight design of this little green rolling egg called the Electrolux UltraSilencer EL6986A is designed specifically for low pile carpeting or vacuuming those beautiful tile and hardwood floors throughout you home.
The Electrolux UltraSilencer EL6986A offers the cleaver design of fitting the attachments, with the except of the floor tool, directly on the telescoping handheld wand, so no more fumbling round trying to find the proper attachment for your dusting requirements.
It comes with several other convenient features like a cord that is engineered to rewind itself; so no more dragging a heavy cord around, as you wheel your little green egg behind you.
Electorlux has also equipped this little green machine with a certified HEPA filter, to protect you and your family for any airborne contaminates or allergens.
This sunflower yellow hand held Eureka EasyClean 71B provides smoothest design of any other handheld vacuum cleaner.
The EasyClean 71B is a complete cleaning tool in your hand with the attached crevice tool for those hard to reach places on your furniture, stairs or even the bottom of those children’s toy boxes. Where do those crumbs come from? Well, the clear dust cup and bagless filter is uniquely designed for you to never have to touch those suspicious crumbs.
The biggest and most popular advantages of the Eureka EasyClean 71B, besides the efficient design, is the one motor that operates the rotating brushes and another that provides 5.5 amp suction power.
This machine is very inexpensively priced for the cleaning power that it packs!
The Hoover Linx Cordless stick vacuum cleaner is a first of its kind on the market to provide Hoovers’ patented cyclonic WindTunnel technology in a light weight stick vacuum, and an auto height adjustment feature to adjust from carpet, to vacuuming your finest hardwood floors.
The Hoover Linx provides a convenient flip switch to control the motorized brushing head when transitioning to hardwood floors as well as other unique features.
Powered by an 18-volt lithium battery, it provides fade-free power while in use as well as an energy star charger.
The edge cleaning brushes can sweep clean even the hardest of corners, and the entire unit measures at a mere 11 inches wide, 8 inches deep, and auto adjusts to a full 42 inches in height.